Monday, June 25, 2018

I Am a Digital Native



I would consider myself a Digital Native even though I grew up in the 1990s.  I remember our home computer and monitor being a gigantic mass on our kitchen countertop and my first camera had the old-school roll of film that I had to go and get developed and hope that I got some good pictures since I could not see them on a screen like we do today on our phone's or digital cameras. My first cell-phone was a flip-phone which used minutes and the luxury of internet on the phone was something my parents paid extra for (and I would get in trouble for using it!).  Despite growing up with what would today be considered "limited" technology, I am familiar with today's technology and very adept at using it.  As discussed in class, I am capable of parallel processing: I often have my computer and phone out, have music on and am doing homework or work at the same time.  I rarely go anywhere without my phone.  But there are times I do make the conscious choice of not having so much going on at the same time.  In classes, I make the choice to take notes on paper, rather than online because I know there are benefits of taking notes by hand.  I chose a Master's program that was almost 100% in person because I know that I do best when I am in a classroom setting with other people rather than a classroom from behind a computer screen.  Even though I am a Digital Native, I grew up in a time when technology was still developing and was not as available so I am able to "power down" and be more flexible than a lot of my students when it comes to technology and self-restricting my use of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment